Spectacular Orchid Show and Award Ceremony with Plant Sale to the Public on 11th, 12th and 13th of April 2014
Held over three days, the 2014 Autumn Show will feature Australian native orchids, modern hybrids and exotic species from Asia, South America and Africa.
Expert growers will be available with advice for your orchids.
There will be an extensive range of interesting plants for sale, as well as potting demonstrations, fertilisers and horticultural supplies.
Light refreshments and raffles with great prizes will be available.
For any inquiry about the Show:
☏ Phone: (07) 3800 3213
- GRAND CHAMPION ORCHID OF SHOW ― Orchidaceous Products (Value $150)
- RESERVE CHAMPION ORCHID OF SHOW ― QOS Trophy (Value $100)
- CHAMPION CATTLEYA HYBRID ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION DENDROBIUM HYBRID EXOTIC ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION DENDROBIUM bigibbum (Any Variety) ― David Littman Memorial Trophy (Perpetual) [Sponsor: Cedarvale Orchids]
- CHAMPION VANDACEOUS ALLIANCE HYBRID including PHALAENOPSIS HYBRID ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION ONCIDIINAE HYBRID ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION SPECIES ORCHID EXOTIC ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION AUSTRALIAN NATIVE (SPECIES OR HYBRID) excluding DENDROBIUM bigibbum ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION OTHER GENERA HYBRID ― QOS Trophy
- CHAMPION SPECIMEN (HYBRID OR SPECIES) ― QOS Trophy
SHOW TIMES & VENUE
Friday 11th April 8.30pm to 3.30pm
Saturday 12th April 8.30am to 3.30pm
Sunday 13th April 8.30am to 3pm
- Set up on Thursday 10th April 2014.
- Benching from 2pm until 7pm on Thursday.
- Judging commences at 7.30pm on Thursday.
- Presentation of Prizes at 3pm on Sunday.
- Plant sales to the public finish 3.15pm Sunday.
- Members can pick up unsold sales plants from 3.30pm Sunday, not before.
RAFFLE DRAWN AT 3.15pm SUNDAY, 13th April 2014
SPOT RAFFLES DRAWN THROUGHOUT FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
Unless otherwise shown, prizes will be Trophies or QOS Vouchers on the following Sponsors to the value of:
1st – $252nd – $153rd – $10
✿❀ CATTLEYA ALLIANCE ❀✿
Cattleya, Laelia, Sophronitis, Brassavola, Rhyncholaelia or any combination only.
|Class A1||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Form – predominantly Purple, Lavender or Mauve over 120mm ― 1st Prize – Fame Orchid Nursery – $25 Voucher|
|Class A2||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Form – predominantly White, over 120mm|
|Class A3||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Form – predominantly Yellow or Green over 120mm|
|Class A4||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Form – any other colour including Splash Petals over 120mm ― 1st, 2nd & 3rd Prizes – Burbank Orchid Nursery – Vouchers|
|Class A5||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Form – Cluster (Not less than 5 Blooms per stem)|
|Class A6||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Standard Type – Miniature – Blooms under 70mm|
|Class A7||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Non Standard Type – Miniature – Blooms 70mm-120mm|
|Class A8||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Non Standard Type – Cluster (Not less than 5 Blooms per stem)|
|Class A9||Cattleya Alliance Hybrid Non Standard Type – Non-Cluster|
✿❀ CATTLEYA ALLIANCE & ALLIED GENERA ❀✿
Any Combination of Cattleya, Laelia, Sophronitis, Brassavola with Broughtonia, Encyclia, Epidendrum, Schomburkia, etc. e.g. Ctna., Lctna., Epicat. etc.
Does Not Include Bc, Blc, Lc, Sc, Slc, Pot. etc.
|Class A10||Cattleya Alliance & Allied Genera Hybrid – Blooms under 70mm|
|Class A11||Cattleya Alliance & Allied Genera Hybrid – Blooms 70mm & over|
|Class A12||Cattleya Alliance & Allied Genera Hybrid – Cluster (not less than 5 Blooms per stem)|
|Class A13||Epidendrum Encyclia Hybrid – No Other Genus Involved in Breeding|
✿❀ DENDROBIUM ❀✿
Blooms are to be measured horizontally across the visible limits of the flower where size restrictions apply.
|Class B1||Dendrobium Hybrid (Phalaenanthe type) Red/Purple Tones|
|Class B2||Dendrobium Hybrid (Phalaenanthe type) Bi Colour|
|Class B3||Dendrobium Hybrid (Phalaenanthe type) White|
|Class B4||Dendrobium Hybrid (Phalaenanthe type) Three-Quarter Shape (Ekapol Type)|
|Class B5||Dendrobium Intermediate/Antelope Hybrid (blooms under 50mm)|
|Class B6||Dendrobium Intermediate/Antelope Hybrid (blooms 50mm & over)|
|Class B7||Dendrobium Hybrid not included elsewhere including Striped & Peloric types|
|Class B8||Dendrobium Hybrid (Phalaenanthe Compact type) includes Stripes (blooms under 60mm)|
✿❀ VANDACEOUS ALLIANCE ❀✿
|Class D1||Vanda/Ascocenda Hybrid – Under 60mm|
|Class D2||Vanda/Ascocenda Hybrid – 60mm & over|
|Class D3||Vascostylis Hybrid|
|Class D4||Vascostylis Hybrid not included elsewhere|
|Class D5||Phalaenopsis/Doritaenopsis Hybrid – Exhibition type – not included elsewhere ― 1st Prize – Formosa Orchid Nursery – $25 Voucher|
|Class D6||Phalaenopsis/Doritaenopsis Hybrid – Exhibition Type – Spotted, Including Fine Spots, French Spots, Harlequins, etc.|
|Class D7||Phalaenopsis/Doritaenopsis Hybrid – Novelty Type|
|Class D8||Phalaenopsis/Doritaenopsis Hybrid – Miniature Multi-floral type – Any Colour including Spots and Waxy type|
✿❀ ONCIDIINAE ❀✿
|Class E1||Oncidium Hybrid|
|Class E2||Oncidiinae Hybrid – Equitant/Tolumnia/Zelemnia, etc.|
|Class E3||Oncidiinae Hybrid not included elsewhere – Odcdm., Bllra., Colm., Etc.|
✿❀ PAPHIOPEDILUM ❀✿
Parentage to be shown on Plant Exhibition Label for Primary Hybrid class.
|Class F1||Paphiopedilum Hybrid Exhibition Type|
|Class F2||Paphiopedilum Hybrid other than Primary Hybrid|
|Class F3||Paphiopedilum Primary Hybrid – (Condition – Species Involved are to be Quoted on the plant tag in Class F3)|
✿❀ SPECIES EXOTIC ❀✿
|Class G1||Laeliinae Alliance Species – Cattleya, Laelia, Sophronitis, Brassavola, Rhyncholaelia , Epidendrum, etc ― 1st, 2nd & 3rd Prizes – Gordon’s Oz Orchids – Vouchers|
|Class G2||Vandaceous Species|
|Class G3||Paphiopedilum Species|
|Class G4||Oncidiinae Species|
|Class G5||Species Orchids Not Included Elsewhere|
✿❀ AUSTRALIAN NATIVE SPECIES or HYBRID excluding Dendrobium bigibbum ❀✿
Australian Native Orchid Hybrids shall be the progeny exclusively of Australian Native orchids or their hybrids.
|Class M1||Australian Native Orchid Hybrid|
|Class M2||Australian Native Orchid Species other than Dendrobium bigibbum|
✿❀ DENDROBIUM BIGIBBUM ❀✿
|Class N1||Dendrobium bigibbum – Any Variety|
✿❀ OTHER GENERA ❀✿
|Class O1||Any Other Genus Hybrid|
✿❀ NOVICE SECTION ❀✿
OPEN TO ALL NOVICE (Refer to Condition 11)
|Class P1||Novice Species|
|Class P2||Novice Hybrid|
1. Entries are free and open to all members of Orchid Societies.
2. Entries will be accepted from 2pm and shall be benched by 7pm and available for judging by 7.30pm on Thursday, 10th April 2014.
3. All persons not involved with the judging must leave the hall by 7.30 pm.
4. The Queensland Orchid Society Inc. or its agents will accept no responsibility for theft, loss, destruction of plants or damage of any kind occasioned to plants, either during transport to and from the show venue or while at the show venue. This includes all plants submitted for sale.
5. All exhibits and exhibitors shall conform to the Rules and By-laws of the Society.
6. The Show Marshal in conjunction with the Chief Steward shall have the right to refuse the exhibition of any plant, which in their opinion, appears diseased.
7. All plants entered shall be the property of the exhibitor. The plants must have been in the exhibitor’s possession for the preceding six months.
8. Individual plants may be entered in only one class. All entries of plants shall be in show condition.
9. Exhibitors are responsible to see that all plants are correctly labelled with cards provided by the Society.
10. Although it is the responsibility of the exhibitor to enter the plant in the correct class and place it in a suitable position on the competitive bench, the Chief Steward has the right to determine the class in which any plant may be exhibited; to reject, remove or re-arrange any entry; to combine (less than three plants) and/or establish extra classes if needed.
11. A Novice shall mean any exhibitor who has not won a first prize at any Orchid Show. An exhibitor may win the Floral Art Novice section (3) three times before entering the Intermediate section.
12. An Intermediate exhibitor in the Floral Art Section shall mean an exhibitor who has won 1st prize (3) three times in the Novice Section, but has not won 1st Prize in the Open Section at any orchid show. After winning (4) four first prizes in the Intermediate Section, an exhibitor must then graduate to the Open Class.
13. Plants to be judged in accordance with AOC standards, however, QOS staking and tying rules apply as follows. – Staking and tying to support the inflorescence will be permitted. On all inflorescences, no staking or ties are allowed on or above the pedicle or ovary of the flower. On multi-flowered unbranched inflorescences, staking and ties are allowed up to but not above half way along that portion of the inflorescences carrying flowers and buds. On branched inflorescences, the main branch may be staked or tied up to but not above the uppermost branch. Parafilm or florist tape is not allowed as ties.
14. No third prize shall be awarded if there are less than five entries and no second prize if there are less than three entries, unless in the opinion of the judges and after consultation with the Show Marshal and Chief Steward that the entries are of such quality as to especially warrant the award of a prize.
15. The Grand Champion Orchid of the show shall be selected from the winners of the Class Champions.
16. The Reserve Champion Orchid of the show shall be selected from the remaining winners of the Class Champions plus the second best orchid chosen from the section from which the Grand Champion Orchid was chosen.
17. The Judges Decision Shall Be Final.
18. No bloom may be removed from a plant, even though spent, or plants or blooms interfered with, without the permission of the Chief Steward or other Official appointed by him.
19. No plant shall be removed from the show until the termination of the show. Any plant removed shall cause the owner to forfeit any rights to the prize in that class. Withdrawal of a plant without permission may lead to the exhibitor’s disqualification at any future show.
20. Stealing of blooms or pollen may lead to the initiation of legal action.
21. Photographs may be taken at any time, but not at the inconvenience of the show patrons.
22. Only QOS Members and Sponsors are entitled to sell plants with QOS Members benching a minimum of 2 plants. A maximum of 40 non-flowering plants, unlimited flowering plants and 10 Foliage plants may be offered for sale.
23. Fire Ant Regulations must be adhered to.
24. Acceptance of any Entry shall be Conditional on the Exhibitor Agreeing to be Bound by the Conditions set out Above.
25. The plant sales supervisor, or his representative, will have total authority to accept or reject any plant submitted for sale.
- Queensland Orchid Society 2014 February Bulletin, Autumn Show, Queensland International Orchid Fair, World Orchid Conference (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- 80th Anniversary of The Queensland Orchid Society Inc (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Orchid Society Information and Event Calendar Registration for 2014 (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Queensland Orchid Society Spring Show 2013 on Facebook (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Spring Show 2013 Report with Photos and Results (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Glorious Orchid Specimens in 2013 Spring Show Competition (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Spring Schedule 2013 (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)
- Autumn Schedule 2013 (queenslandorchid.wordpress.com)